Much to update on BHRR's Flint. It has taken me almost a week to be able to write a blog update on this incredible dog and, thank you to everyone that has submitted testimonials on him to date. So important, for people to not just 'trust' my word, despite my education, experience, knowledge and that fact, that I have lived with this dog since September 19th, 2013. This boy has been exposed to hundreds and hundreds upon hundreds of folks – from friends, fans, strangers, vets, family, volunteers, adults, kids, seniors, infants, men, women etc.  from the time he has arrived, both in our home, at community education and public awareness events and, at work, play dates, play visits both in my hands and, with many others for all of the above. He is one of the most popular of BHRR's dogs. AND, for our third annual special picnic date online auction, BHRR's Flint was the biggest winner for funds raised and, had quite the bid war.

When I left this dog at the adoptive home on Sunday May 25th, 2014, I left a dog that was happy, wagging his tail, exploring the home and, going upstairs and downstairs friendly and calm. The only 'nerves' he showed was when he first met the adoptive home resident as that person is 6 foot 3 and 260 pounds and, when I asked that person to sit down(and, more than once), BHRR's Flint was right over wanting to make friends and be loved. He also spooked himself when he saw himself in a mirror yet, made 'friends' with himself in the mirror not long afterwards. 😀

I even left two types of bones, a collar, a leash, a bag of FROMM also with him.

Each dog that is adopted has a very detailed information package emailed to the home prior to the adoption. We also discuss over the phone the dog with the applicant.The blogs are very detailed on the journey our dogs go through and, nothing is hidden. The good, the bad, the great and the ugly are all posted.

We have been operating over 18.5 years now, and this is the 6th dog that we have taken back in that time. Our adoption success rates were 100% for over ten years of operating and were 99% up to last Wednesday May 28th, when I brought him back. Actually, the adoption failed on the 27th of May, not even 48 hours after the adoption occurred. It is so important that we do the best we can and 'right' by each dog that crosses our doors and set-up our dogs and any possible right matched homes for success. We did discuss with the home re: CM tactics as the home was a big fan of CM and, how we do not support any corporal or punitive practices and, sent on literature plus video of examples what CM has done to dogs in the past.

As per our follow-up protocols, I sent our a follow-up email on May 26th at 1:19 AM

At 9:30 AM on the 26th, I received the following email:

"Hey Gwen! 

I think its goin ok! Flint has met a couple new people already. He seems unsure when first meeting people but warms up fast. I've taken him for a few walks around the block, he tends to pull very hard on the leash. He sometimes does ok on correction but it will take awhile to be  good on leash.  He spent the night in the cage and did ok! I'm lookin forward to starting obedience training as I think that will solve a lot of issues. 

He misses you guys!"

So far, nothing really terrible in this email on the surface. BHRR's Flint is great on a leash yet, as I told the home, BHRR's Flint has to know that the home knows that BHRR's Flint knows about manners. Yet, I had planned on sending an email ASAP to address the leash manners for, he should not be taking time to be good on a leash. AND, the comment about 'solve a lot of issues', concerned us. This also was in the plan to delve further ASAP. Like all of those that Volunteer for BHRR, I am also a Volunteer of BHRR, and, do have two pt careers outside of my ft work at BHRR and, have a family and other commitments and, as so many are aware, I am up to 5 or 6 AM almost every day, working to help animals and people in need out there, as a Volunteer.

However, I did not even get the chance to respond, for, I then received the following and, I was stunned, shocked, deeply concerned and emailed back as soon as I could and also alerted the rest of the BHRR BOD. We have gone from the home stated as being 'seems unsure when first meeting people but warms up fast' in the first email to what is in no way BHRR's Flint. We have also gone from 'goin ok!' to this…..

AND, I am posted this as, for anyone else that may consider applying to adopt BHRR's Flint, do know that, we remain full of full disclosure and, want people to understand that this adoption failure is not BHRR's Flints fault.

On May 27, 2014, at 12:53 PM, this is what I received re: BHRR's Flint's behaviour in email and, it was similar in the vm left and the word 'aggressive' was also used.

I tried calling and left a message. I want to be honest with you and myself. The first couple days with flint have been hard. At times I see this happy go lucky softy. At other times I see a very fearful dog. I have had a couple instances where flint was very fearful especially when meeting new people at my home or on walks. Flint has growled at me (after waking up from a dream and you could tell he didn't know where he was or was unsure of his surroundings, it took more than 20 minutes for him to calm down), growled at visitors to my home, and growled and even showed his teeth at a passer by on a walk. I was afraid he would snap at the person, so I quickly just got out of the situation and apologized."

Though, per the adoptive homes signed contract, it was their responsibility to bring BHRR's Flint back to BHRR safely, I jumped on this. Something was seriously wrong. Thank you to Rachel for answering my request for assistance and, arrangements were made for her to get him on Wednesday and, I would then get BHRR's Flint from her. I am grateful to the home for emailing me so, we could act fast.

Our dog is back safe with us, and, we are keeping BHRR's Flint the priority.

When the BHRR approved Volunteer got BHRR's Flint, he was not nervous or scared to see her and, she then texted me to say that she was taking him to a dog park and, when I met her, she also told me she took him to PetSmart. This person had not seen BHRR's Flint since March, almost 10 weeks prior and, no signs of anything remotely negative to report. He met an elderly person, a pregnant person, kids and, all sorts of folks. God, he loves kids! The only unsure sign he gave was when they first walked in PetSmart and Rachel reminded him that he was ok and, off they went. She even purchased a big smoked dino bone for him.

There was no trying to lunge, eat, snap, growl or hurt anyone.  Some of us are not even sure how he could even bare his teeth with all those heavy long/big flews. 🙁

What was also pointed out to me was a very large fluid pocket area on BHRR's Flint's lower side when I met the BHRR approved Volunteer to get him and, I did email the home to ask how that could have happened as it would really benefit BHRR's Flint and the Vet to help treat him. It was bigger than a large fist in size, very promniant. I did not get an answer as to the cause from the home. BHRR's Flint is now on antibiotics for what was diagnosed as a seroma. 40 cc's were drained and, if need be, more will be drained if required.

Before I even met the Volunteer, I stopped a piece away from the meeting locale and, observed from a distance how he was with the BHRR Volunteer. He was great…curious with the cars that slowed down and looked and talked to him in the parking lot. He was sniffing the grass and trees and no problems noted. When I parked and, was walking over, and, he saw me….that greeting of his, just melted my heart….I sniffled back the tears, refused to 'baby' him and, greeted him with a smile and plenty of pats. Treated it as no big deal……yet, inside, I was sooooooooooo happy to have witnessed how great he was doing with Rachel. 🙂

When I arrived home that evening from making the drive to meet our BHRR approved Volunteer, BHRR's Flint was nervous of my 13 year old son Mason and I just handed him the leash and, all was fine again. What did distress me is that when he saw Sean, he submissive peed in the fading daylight. That disturbed all of us immensely to see that.

It took me until the wee early hours of Saturday May 31st and, was so worth only getting 2.5 hours sleep – to successfully integrate him back into the pack here. He would stand between my legs and shake. This dog does not have a mean bone in his body. Never has. It was heartbreaking……. 🙁 🙁 Yet, he is now back into the groove and, no longer wanting to hide in a crate or between my legs and is eating, drinking, and, playing back to normal again.

I shall add photo's taken last Wednesday by the BHRR approved Volunteer and the testimonials sent so far in another blog. This one has become long enough………..