*Prior to submitting an application to be reviewed, please read this whole page plus our FAQ & Information page.*
**NOTE: As of December 1st, 2016; BHRR shall no longer be responding to any inquires to adopt. We are following the lead of other r/q organizations and ONLY completed adoption applications submitted to the BHRR BOD shall be considered/responded to.**
As of January 1st, 2011; a $20 Non Refundable Fee (which is $5.00 – $25.00 less than what most other Rescues charge) to cover administrative expenses to process your application will be required via email transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org or PayPal (‘gift’ or ‘friends & family’ option) or Money Order/Bank Draft to ‘Birch Haven Rescue & Rehabilitation Services’ before an application will be considered.
NOTE: This fee does not guarantee or warrant that you will be approved to adopt a BHRR animal.
We will NOT accept this fee in CASH via snail mail. NO EXCEPTIONS.
*If a personal check is sent, until the funds have ‘cleared’ through the bank, your application shall remain on ‘hold’.*
**All NSF Checks will be charged a $25.00 Fee.**
Please mail to:
Birch Haven Rescue & Rehabilitation Services
C/O Gwendilin Boers
2425 Totem Ranch Road West
RR#1 Oxford Station, Ontario
OR you also also EMAIL
We feel it necessary to have to stress that we are an all Volunteer group, who operates out of our home and that of our approved foster homes. Therefore, we do not have ‘business’ hours as a shelter or pound would.
We are NOT a facility, shelter or pound. Please respect that we plus our approved foster homes are entitled to privacy and the same level of family intimate time as other people. If you are not an approved BHRR adoptive/foster home (having completed the application, reference checks plus hv and if all found in order and advised that you are approved); you are not permitted on our or our approved homes properties.
Those that have been approved are sent an invitation to set up a mutually convenient animal visit time. People found in violation could be charged with trespassing along with any other charges if warranted. Our policies, processes, mandates plus procedures are clearly indicated on both of our websites(www.birchhaven.org & www.bhrr.petfinder.com) and our own property is closely monitored for activity.
BHRR also is very unique in that we host regular BHRR ‘EXPERIENCE’ Mini Open Houses. We feel it is so important for people to come out and visit with us; converse with others involved with BHRR; witness how BHRR operates; meet the animals in both our adoption plus Haven Dog programs and experience first hand JUST what they are supporting with their donations, time and to possibly adopt and/or Volunteer etc. We bring back all dogs that we can from our approved temp foster homes to also be part of these regular experiences. Please ONLY support legitimate Rescue organizations, those that are provincially or federally registered.
Please email for details and to register to attend our next BHRR ‘EXPERIENCE’ Mini Open House. Next one shall be February 2017.
BHRR has a Rescue number and as is clearly indicated on that message system, all non urgent calls/inquiries can take up to 5 days to return. We will not consider/proceed with applications that contact us on our home line, drop by our place of property and so forth. You cannot just drop-in and ‘get a dog’. We have a thorough adoption screening process.
As of April 1st, 2012; BHRR shall consider adoption applications to NOT only the whole provinces of Ontario and Quebec in Canada plus ALSO consider homes in the state of *New York, USA that are no more than 3 hours from BHRR; yet; we shall also consider homes in Halifax, N.S. and those homes within 2 hours of Halifax, N.S.
*These areas in New York, USA shall include those listed below and all immediate surrounding areas AS long as the potential adoptive home in New York, USA is no more than 3 hours from the physical locale of BHRR in Eastern Ontario, CDA:
*All costs will be absorbed by the new approved adoptive family should the adoption not occur at the time of the required visit.
*DISCLAIMER: Moving forward should anyone outside of our adoption area submit an application; BHRR shall no longer refund the fee submitted.
BHRR requires an application/contract to be filled out, personal references including a vet reference, if applicable, and a home visit(almost always the dog(s) come to the home-visit depending on location) completed before being invited to visit further any BHRR animal to best determine if approved to adopt. We also require that at the time of meeting any BHRR animal (after completing the application process up to that point) that the whole family including any other currently owned animals are brought to the locale of the animal in question – if not done at the time of the home-visit – for at least one meeting to take place. BHRR only places per best matched personality fit. We also require that within four months of having adopted your new addition that at least one full round/session of group classes of obedience (they can range from 6-18 weeks) must be started and upon completion; proof (registration + completion) must be submitted and with having your signature on the adoption application/contract; you will be in a legal breach of your contract should this not be done. The animal involved will have to be returned promptly & safely to BHRR at your own expense.
Please contact us with an introduction attached to your completed application/non-refundable processing fee which must include some details about you, your family if applicable, current pets, where you live etc. to be considered for a BHRR animal. We will no longer be responding to inquiries that do not have a completed application/non-refundable processing fee attached to their introduction. We will not consider homes that DO NOT have a properly fenced in yard. The fenced in yard must be directly accessible from at least one door of the house.
- Please note that we do not consider electrical fencing, barb wire, invisible fencing, outdoor kennels, hedges, bushes, trees nor dog ‘runs’ appropriate fencing. We do not do ‘conditional adoption approvals’ based upon fencing. Please do not contact BHRR if you do not meet this requirement and we shall no longer be responding to applications/inquiries that do not meet this requirement and any non-refundable fee that has been attached shall no longer be refunded. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- If you live in an apartment or condominium, we will consider those applications on an individual basis.
- If you do not own your home home and are renting; a written + signed letter of Permission from your Landlord and/or Landlady must be submitted along with your signed application. The letter must also indicate that that the Landlord/Landlady is ‘aware’ of what a Giant Breed is. Applications submitted without this attached letter shall no longer be reviewed. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- We will not adopt out to Students, regardless of age. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- If you have re-homed an animal or brought one to a Shelter, Pound, Rescue etc; unless the circumstances are mitigating such as death or accident; we will not consider your home. Some of the top reasons why animals end up in Rescue are due to people having children, moving, renting, cannot afford the bills, did not do any research on the breed and became overwhelmed, dog grew too big, new job, did not do obedience, break ups, did not socialise, did not have the time, going to University/College, getting married etc. and as our priority is to the animals under our authority; we will not adopt out to homes without mitigating factors. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- WE DO NOT place any dog with a family with children under the age of 8 unless the below additional conditions/requirements have been met to the satisfaction of the BOD of BHRR. Only then shall the BOD of BHRR consider those homes that have children younger than the age of 8 yet they must be over the age of 5:
a) ONLY homes that have no more than 2 children shall be considered if said children are under the age of 8 and over the age of 5
b) ONLY dogs that BHRR deem most suitable for homes with children within these ages shall be considered
c) ONLY homes that have prior suitable breed type experience ie Great Danes for a Great Dane possible adoption or a Saint Bernard for a Saint Bernard possible adoption shall be considered
d) ONLY homes that have no more than one dog already and that dog must be a right matched personality fit; shall be considered should any children be under the age of 8 and over the age of 5
e) ONLY homes that have all family members in attendance for the home visit and only those same homes that have all family members come to BHRR to meet us shall be considered
BHRR stresses that children and dogs should NEVER be left unsupervised together!
*This is a legal, insurance and moral obligation/responsibility that we will adhere to.
After going through the application process, and if you are approved you will then be put on a waiting list should we not currently have what would be the ‘best’ fit for you. We also can refer you to other reputable rescues.
BHRR Great Dane Adoption Application – Great Dane Application
BHRR ‘Other’ Giant Breeds Adoption Application – Giant Breed Application
***Right Mouse Click & Choose ‘Save As’ To Download to your Computer’***
***Any application that has been changed from it’s original format will not be considered.***
Policies & Fees
Please download an application to be filled out in complete and sent back for review along with the processing fee along with an introduction should you wish to be considered for a BHRR animal.
***Please note that due to the large number of inquiries we receive daily, we can no longer take the time to clarify incomplete applications and we will no longer be responding to applicants indicating such. Only those applications that have been submitted in full with an introduction, will be considered.***
We also work very hard to assist various breeders, rescue groups, organizations, shelters and friends in placing rescues or re-homing animals that come into their hands. We only organize and facilitate in these situations.
Adoption Fees are dependent on the cost it has taken us to rescue, transport, treat & Vet, neuter or spay, vaccinate, microchip, de-worm, feed, test, X-Ray, etc. an animal. Our goal is to try to ‘break-even’ on our outputted costs and in reality BHRR will never ‘break-even’ on any animal in our program. Out-putted costs is ALWAYS more than our intake with fees. It is not unknown for BHRR to put in $2,500 – 7,000+ CDA for any one animal that comes into our program. Most of the funding for BHRR comes out of the pocket of Sean & Gwen Boers.
Our 2017 adoption fees are $275.00 and up.
- Seniors – 7 years and up $275
- Adults – 3 to 7 years $475
- Adolescents – 18 months to 3 years $500
- *Puppies – Up to 18 months of age $500
*BHRR rarely has puppies under 6 months of age into our program(s). Our mandate is to work with the Special Needs wherever possible(sick, injured, deaf, blind, visually impaired, hearing impaired, tripods, senior etc.) and our vast experience has shown that while most groups will step up to assist a puppy; most will not step up to assist a special needs canine.
**Research has shown that our adoption fees are anywhere from $25 – $200 LESS than many other groups.**
**AND our expenses are more than double if not tripled from other groups as we work with the Giants & focus on the special needs**
Puppies, those with medical ailments and the animals with rehab. issues generally cost more and working almost exclusively with Giant Breeds, the costs add up quickly. Our average cost based upon over 20 years of documenting to properly rehabilitate one giant is $2,500.00.
Owner Surrender fees:
$50.00-$150.00 Surrender fees aid us in helping the animals that need our assistance.
Fee(s) for any owner surrendered Canine Animal:
- Puppies 1 year and under $150.00 CDA
- Dogs 1-3 years $100.00 CDA
- Dogs 4-6 years $75.00 CDA
- Senior Dogs 7 years+ $50.00 CDA
As of January 2011, BHRR shall no longer waive any owner surrender fees. NO EXCEPTIONS.
BHRR Owner Surrender Form
***Right Mouse Click & Choose ‘Save As’ To Download to your Computer’***
Animals adopted out by BHRR are:
- Fully vetted – altered, necessary bw inluding HWT/Tickborne diseases, x-rays, necessary surgeries, utd on vaccines, de-wormed, fecals
- Put on HW/Flea/Parasite Preventative – BHRR uses Sentinel and/or Revolution year round
- Some obedience
- Behaviourally assessed/evaluated
- Behaviourally rehabbed – Founder has MA plus a PhD in Animal Behavour/Development
- Medically rehabbed including with our team of other experts – hydrotherapy, chiro, acupuncture and massage if needed
- BHRR remains a 24/7 resource for as long as you have one of our animals
- Adopted with a collar/leash
- XL Ziploc bag of dog food should home not have food already – We feed FROMM – Salmon, Whitefish plus Pork & Applesauce
- Adopted out with any ‘favourite’ toys the dog may have
- Adopted out with any Secret Santa or other ‘gifts’ given direct to them
- Copies of all Vet/Microchip information/records
- Full disclosure given
- Invitation to take a copy of photos on the dogs blog plus a copy of the blog itself
- Invitation to join our 300+ member strong GD Walking/Hiking Group – 20+ years and going strong!
- Home sent an emailed an 11 page ‘information’ package re: Dog plus how to ensure a smooth and successful adoption transition
- 1 week courtesy follow-up post adoption
- Our animals are legally required by the signed adoption contract to come back to BHRR should the home no longer be able to properly care for said animal, is in breach of their contract etc.
- Should home ever have need of emergency doggie care; BHRR will do so at BHRR at n/c during your time of need
*Donation to BHRR in lieu of any fees charged by BHRR deeply appreciated – food to be provided by approved BHRR adoptive home